What is High Fidelity Wraparound
Wraparound is an evidence-informed team-based planning process intended to provide coordinated, comprehensive, holistic, youth and family-driven care to meet the needs of children, youth, and families who have multiple systems involvement and who experience serious mental or behavioral health challenges.
Wraparound uses a team approach and follows a series of steps to help youth and their families meet their needs. It brings together the family, their natural supports and community-based service providers to create and implement a plan that supports the youth and family to achieve their vision for the future. This process focuses on strengths and supports more youth to grow up and thrive in their homes and communities.
- Wraparound asks, “What do you need to have a better life?” Wraparound is not about what services are available, or easily accessible, nor is it about what anyone believes that a youth and family should do. It is simply about supporting them to reach their vision.
- Wraparound demands “whatever it takes.” A team is chosen by the youth and family and committed to go above and beyond in supporting them to achieve their goals.
- Wraparound is not something you “give” or “get” – it is something that you “do.” Wraparound is an active and intentional process that can only be successful when done in partnership with the youth and family.
- Wraparound is a value base. Youth, family, and team adopt the 10 Principles of Wraparound to guide the process.
To learn more about High Fidelity Wraparound, watch this 4-minute video from the National Wraparound Initiative.
Benefits of Wraparound
- Youth and Family Empowerment
- Positive Outcomes for Youth
- Positive Outcomes for Families
- Collaborative approach with team as resources
Wraparound Family Video English Version
Wraparound Family Video Versión en Español
What should a youth and family expect when participating in Wraparound?
Within a week of being referred to Wraparound, a care manager will meet with the youth and family to discuss the Wraparound process and create a plan to promote safety while the team is being formed.
Within the first month of Wraparound, the care manager and the youth and family will spend a lot of time together getting to know one another and discussing the process. The care manager will ask the youth and family to share their family’s story including their strengths, needs, concerns, hopes, and dreams for the future.
The care manager will also support the youth and family in creating their Wraparound Team.
- the youth
- family members
- natural supports
- care manager
- service providers
Each team member, including the youth and their family members, will play an active role and invest in this process.
Once formed, the team will work together to create a Wraparound Plan. The plan is designed to meet the needs chosen by the youth and family and to support them in achieving their goals for the future. Team members are assigned action steps within the plan. Supports and services will build upon the strengths, culture, values, and beliefs of the youth and family.
The team will meet at least monthly to check in on action step progress. Discussion will include any alterations needed to the Wraparound Plan. The youth and family will report on how they feel the plan is working for them. Together the team decides on any changes or updates to the plan.
As the youth and family move closer to their vision for the future, they will no longer need the formal Wraparound Team. Monthly meetings will end, but their supportive network will be available should they need them in the future.
High Fidelity Wraparound (HFW) serves youth ages 5 to 21 who:
- live in designated counties throughout NYS (link to agency list)
- have a diagnosed Serious Emotional Disturbance
- are involved in behavioral health services and/or multiple child-serving systems
- have emerging or imminent risk of disruption of living situation, childcare, or school placement due to behavioral needs
The youth and family must be willing to participate in the intensive process throughout its four phases.
Click on the link below to view the latest Wraparound Certified Case Management Availability. You may also right-click on the link and save the PDF to your computer.
To receive more information about receiving High Fidelity Wraparound Services for your child and family, please contact the Children’s Single Point of Access (C-SPOA) for your county.